A database developer/architect to assists with the development of a relational database for use in organizing, analyzing, and reporting on a variety of data related to its solid waste and environmental program operations.
The Solid Waste Department is responsible for the collection, transportation, and disposal of a variety of commodities, including (but not limited to):
- Class I material for disposal in a sanitary landfill
- Class I material (food waste) for conversion to energy via anaerobic digestion
- Class I material (single-stream/commingled/mixed recycling) for processing at a material recovery facility
- Class III material for disposal in a sanitary landfill * Class III material (yard waste) for composting and/or mulching
- Class III material (construction debris) for sorting and recycling
A significant amount of data related to these activities has been collected over the past several years. This data resides largely in various Microsoft excel workbooks, but also in other systems (both electronic and hard copy). The database developer consolidates this information into a single repository that is easily updated and queried in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the day-to-day operations. They also provide relevant data to customers and partners for use in meeting corporate environmental goals.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Computer Science, MIS or related degree and five (5) years of related experience or a combination of education, training and experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (with special emphasis in Access and Excel table and query development) , SQL 2014/2016, SQL Management Studio, T-SQL skills, stored procedures, triggers, SSIS, SSRS, Powershell
- SQL Code technical writing abilities and the ability to think independently and analyze problems with a solution-based mindset
- Experience in project management, enterprise implementation, leadership experience, strategic planning, business acumen, applications development, change management
- Meet with stakeholders to determine system requirements
- Available input data streams and types manual entry of paper tickets historical excel spreadsheets customer information system exports etc.
- Required standard output reports for Operational needs Regulatory needs Corporate environmental target progress and forecasting needs
- Required custom query capabilities Customer and/or commodity-specific informational needs
- Review existing Microsoft Access database currently in development to evaluate strengths and opportunities for improvement
- Create an SQL database to replace the Access database, address all identified shortcomings, and satisfy all stakeholder needs